Saturday, April 24, 2010

My Garden by Kevin Henkes

Everything is starting to bloom, including Kevin Henkes' newest picture book, My Garden!

My Garden is a simple story told largely through bright illustrations. After helping her mother water and weed the family garden, a young girl describes her perfect garden, where the flowers would never die, planted jelly beans would grow into jelly bean bushes, and the “tomatoes would be as big as beach balls.”

The story is a little silly, too - for example, the girl shares her solution to a problem facing gardeners around the globe: rabbits.  She shares, “In my garden, the rabbits wouldn’t eat the lettuce because the rabbits would be chocolate and I would eat them.”  The accompanying illustration is below right:

Can you think of some ideas for a fabulous garden? How about a cupcake garden? Or a jellyfish garden? You never know where your imagination will take you!

0 comments :

Send a comment to Dreyfus!